Grammys and Giving Back: The SWITCHFOOT BRO-AM Foundation
n 2005, after traveling the world, SWITCHFOOT dreamed up an idea to give back to their hometown that supported them as both surfers and musicians. They decided to rally the San Diego community and to invest in kids who might need a hand up, by starting the SWITCHFOOT BRO-AM Foundation.
Thirteen years later, the BRO-AM has skyrocketed in impact and size, gathering over 17,000 people to the beach for a “more bro than pro” team surf contest, Rob Machado Bro Junior surf contest, Challenged Athletes Foundation kids surf contest, free beach concert and numerous vendor booths.
Mission Edge is the fiscal sponsor for the foundation, taking care of business and operational matters, so that the band members and employees can keep a laser focus on fundraising (emphasis on the “fun”) and preparing for their annual BRO-AM benefit party and beach fest. Mission Edge manages:
- Special event insurance facilitation – BRO-AM leaders can plan and host their events with peace of mind that all aspects are properly covered.
- Contract/Agreement review – Our support ensures that there are clear expectations of all vendors, venues, volunteers, participants, etc., and that all operations are tight for a well-run event.
- Creative fundraising implementation – We take away the burden of the transactional fundraising processes (coding, receipts, donation acknowledgements, etc.) so the BRO-AM team can focus on soliciting and raising donations.
In general, Mission Edge ensures that all business and event aspects are handled efficiently and correctly. This allows the BRO-AM team to create new funding sources and to get further involved in the community.
“When we launched BRO-AM, we simply wanted to give back in a meaningful way by hosting a surf contest and free beach concert to raise awareness and funds for local kids in need,” said Tina Butler, Executive Director of the SWITCHFOOT BRO-AM Foundation. “It sounds simple but it’s quite complicated. We are so grateful for the partnership with Mission Edge. We can rely on them to be the experts on fiscal and legal compliance so we can successfully execute this incredible community event and give more to local youth programs.”
The fundraising Benefit Party and Beach Fest events consist of two days of live music, surf competitions, food, drinks, and more. Funds raised from last year’s events provided grants totaling $120,000 that were distributed to seven local organizations. With support from this funding:
- A Step Beyond has welcomed 44 new students to their programs dedicated to providing underserved youth with opportunities that greatly expand their expectations and ambitions through dance education, academic support, and family services.
- Feeding San Diego used their funding to provide meals to 100,000 children facing hunger in San Diego.
- Rob Machado Foundation installed two FloWater filling stations at Carlsbad High School, providing clean drinking water to 3,500 students and moving a step closer to eradicating single plastic bottle use.
- SIMA Humanitarian Fund supported 12 projects dedicated to humanitarian support through surfing.
- StandUp for Kids provided services to more than 30 kids that come through their doors, including food packs, hot meals, tents and sleeping bags.
- VH1 Save the Music Foundation was able to jumpstart a full instrumental band program at Greg Rogers Elementary School, which has been without music or art classes for 15 years.
- Challenged Athletes Foundation will send four disabled youth to surf competitions through their adaptive surfing program.
The Switchfoot BRO-AM Foundation’s 2017 events are right around the corner. The Benefit Party on Thursday, June 22 gathers philanthropists, influencers and friends to enjoy signature tastes and drinks from local restaurants while bidding on unique auction items. The evening closes with an intimate performance by SWITCHFOOT. The Beach Fest will be on Saturday, June 24. This free event includes several surf contests, live music performances and numerous vendor booths. Whether you’re looking to bid on some amazing items at the dinner and auction night, want to enjoy sun, sand and surfing at the beach party, or both, visit http://broam.org/ to register.
Have an important mission you want to accomplish, but need business support? Ask us about Fiscal Sponsorship and our Managed Service solutions. http://www.missionedge.org/services